Learning Space Design Guidelines
The UBC Learning Space Design Guidelines (LSDG) were originally developed in 2011 as a guide for the planning and design of learning spaces at UBC. The LSDG are used in the development of new classrooms as well as renovations and upgrades of existing learning spaces. These cover all aspects of learning spaces, from room types and furniture to instructional technology.
The LSDG has been a valued asset for many years, providing project teams with a practical design document for reference. In 2018, UBC Facilities Planning Learning Spaces Team directed an update to the document, which had 5 goals:
- Review content to include UBCO campus-specific guidelines.
- Have guidelines adopted for use on the UBCO campus.
- Reduce overall document volume and redundancy by removing sections that are no longer relevant or are already included in other UBC documents and websites.
- Review and update relevant metrics, terminology and descriptions.
- Reformat the document to make it more user-friendly.
The Learning Space Design Guidelines aim to minimize design and construction problems that may negatively affect learning spaces. The document highlights different types of learning spaces and important considerations for creating successful spaces.
Download the Learning Space Design Guidelines 2018 (PDF).
Guidelines for classroom acoustics are found in UBC's Technical Guidelines Division 10 (Section 10 00 10, 1.16).