Do you need to know something specific about anything from furniture to policies? Or do you need help with setting up Audio Visual (AV) and other equipment? Get answers here.

Furniture + Equipment   Audio Visual + Equipment   Accessibility   Policies 

Scheduling + Booking   Lost & Found

Furniture + Equipment

Q: Who do I contact if there is broken furniture/equipment in my classroom?
Q: How do I get permanent marker off a whiteboard?

If there is permanent marker on a whiteboard, use a dry-erase marker to draw over the permanent marker, and then erase. If the mess is more than a quick fix, please let Building Operations know by emailing

Q: How do you decide what furniture to put in a classroom?

We select the most appropriate furniture in consultation with instructors, students, program administrators, and other key classroom stakeholders. We aim to provide furniture that:

  • offers student choice
  • supports a variety of activities and learning modes
  • meets universal design, health and wellbeing standards
  • is sourced from sustainable and socially responsible vendors
Q: How do I request new furniture in a room?

The Learning Spaces team has an annual summer upgrade program. However, we welcome suggestions for room improvements at any time. We have an ongoing maintenance program and can often get to small fixes quickly. Please contact us with a room improvement need.

Q: How do I add more seats into a classroom?

Contact to review room capacities. Room capacity depends on many variables, including safety and building requirements, type of furniture, and student comfort. Most of our classrooms are already optimized for the right number of seats, meaning it is rare for capacities to increase without impacting room functionality.

Q: Why do some classrooms have chalkboards, and others have whiteboards?

We consult with users about writing surfaces when creating new learning spaces, or when replacing boards in existing rooms. While the majority of classrooms have whiteboards, some users prefer to use chalkboards.

Q: Why doesn’t my classroom have a clock?

All new classrooms have clocks installed when they are built as per our Learning Space Design Guidelines. These clocks are synced across campus using Wi-Fi to provide the reliability that an institution like UBC needs. If your classroom doesn’t have a clock, please contact the Learning Spaces Team.

Audio Visual + Technology

Q: How do I get a technician to repair equipment in my space?

Technicians are available for user support, orientation, or advanced system repairs. Please contact the AV Help Desk at 604-822-7956 or to request a technician for repairs.

For more support agreement options (project based, short term or long term) please contact the AV Help Desk for more details.

Q: Who do I contact to get AV equipment or support for an event?

UBC IT Audio Visual offers AV equipment rentals and support for events. This includes client consultation, delivery, setup and technical assistance for on or off campus meetings, conferences and special events. For more information, visit the UBC IT Audio Visual Events and Equipment Rentals webpage.

Q: How do you decide what AV equipment to put in a classroom?

When initiating any new project, a thorough needs analysis is completed with users of the space to identify any specific needs. In addition to specific needs identified by users, the UBC IT Audio Visual design team utilizes a standards-based approach based on a set of design guidelines. These standards and guidelines provide benchmarks for technology based on factors such as seat count, viewing distance, sightlines, etc. Standardized models of equipment such as projectors, document cameras, and touch panels are used for the purpose of creating a common look and feel in all classrooms which fosters familiarity for users moving from one classroom to the next. It also streamlines support of classroom spaces, which reduces costly downtime and system outages.

Q: Can I upgrade/add a new AV system to my space?

AV systems are typically refreshed every five to seven years in general teaching spaces. If you would like to suggest an upgrade to one of these rooms before an AV system refresh is scheduled, please contact the AV Help Desk at 604-822-7956 or for assistance.

Q: I want to display my content on a lounge or hallway’s TV screen. Where do I start?

UBC IT Audio Visual’s digital signage team offers hardware infrastructure and software solutions for you to quickly and efficiently display multimedia content on flat panel displays in your space. Even if you don’t own signage, you can still provide content for the UBC digital signage network. For more information, visit the UBC IT Audio Visual Digital Signage webpage.

Q: Where in classrooms are power plugs located?

Depending on the classroom, power plugs are located in floorboxes, on tabletops, or under the seats. If you are in a room with floorboxes, please close the box after you are finished so you don’t create a tripping hazard.


Q: Are classrooms accessible?

We are helping to make the campus more accessible by installing automatic door openers (push-buttons) into lecture theatre doors. Wheelchair lifts have been installed to aid movement in some rooms, and require no keys to operate. 98% of our classrooms are accessible – the few inaccessible classrooms are in old buildings that do not have an elevator; this will be noted on the individual classroom pages.

Q: Do you support assistive listening devices?

Individual wireless headphone receivers are available upon request in most large classrooms/theatres with 100 or more seats. Please contact the AV Help Desk at 604-822-7956 or for assistance.


Q: When are classrooms open?

Use the Find a Classroom page to check the hours for any particular building. If you are booking an event that takes place outside of the building hours, the main doors to the building will be unlocked for the time of the event. If additional doors are required to be unlocked, please contact and detail why this exception is required (charges for this service will apply). Classrooms on secure access (electronic doors/card reader) are programmed to be unlocked from 7:30am to 11pm; all other classrooms are left unlocked and can be used until 11pm. (Note the building likely locks before 11pm).

Q: Can I eat or serve food in a classroom?

Catering in classrooms is not permitted.

Drinks in spill-proof containers and snacks are acceptable for students to consume during academic course sections. It is your responsibility to take your waste to the nearest Sort It Out station. 

Q: What happens if there is a power outage, flood, or other event that affects my classroom?

In the event of a power outage or other event that affects the learning environment, Scheduling Services will attempt to re-locate academic course sections. If a class needs to be temporarily re-located, we will contact the relevant department and advise them of new location.

Q: Are animals permitted in classrooms?

Guide Dogs and Service Animals that are trained and certified are permitted in classrooms.

Emotional Support Animals are not permitted in classrooms unless approved through the UBC Centre for Accessibility. Emotional Support Animals provide emotional support to an individual with a mental or psychiatric disability that alleviates one or more identified symptoms of an individual’s disability. Emotional Support Animals provide this support to individuals with disabilities without any formal training and are not eligible for certification.

The use of animals in UBC General Teaching Spaces fall under the jurisdiction of the UBC Centre for Accessibility. For more information, please visit their website:

Q: Can I put up posters in classrooms?

Posters are not permitted in any General Teaching Space classroom. For other spaces (hallways, etc), please contact the building administrator for permission to post signage or posters. For more information, refer to UBC's Signage Policy - UP8.

Scheduling + Booking

Q: How is the course schedule created?

Scheduling Services, Enrolment Services works closely with 160+ Timetable Representatives in 22 Faculties and Schools, and stewards the production of the UBC Course Schedule. Further details can be found here. Scheduling Services is the primary contact for administering the bookings of General Teaching Spaces, defined as shared space used for the teaching needs of Faculties, Departments, and Schools.

View our scheduling guidelines.

Q: How do I request a General Teaching Space for credit courses and final exams?

Please contact your Timetable Representative or Exam Representative - please refer to the Timetable Representative Directory on this page. They will contact Scheduling Services on your behalf.

Q: Why can’t I find the room I’m looking for on the Find a Classroom page?

The Find a Classroom search on the Learning Spaces website only displays General Teaching Spaces. The room you are looking for may be a restricted departmental classroom or a teaching lab, both of which are not included in our inventory. Please contact the department in charge of the building you’re looking for to book the room you need.

Q: How do I request a General Teaching Space for events and other activities?

Please visit the Scheduling Services Room Booking page for more information or to submit a booking request.

Q: How are classroom bookings prioritized? 

Per Policy 107, Scheduling Services establishes rules for General Teaching Spaces for “Academic/Educational Activities” and “Other Activities”. For full details about booking priorities view our booking guidelines.

Q: Where can I find more information about Scheduling Services?

Please visit the Scheduling Services website or email:


Lost & found

Q: I forgot my textbook in class but it's not there anymore. Who should I go to? 

Please visit UBC's Central Lost and Found at the UBC Bookstore to check whether your item has been dropped off. You may also check the online inventory for information on newly found items. 

Q: What should I do if I find something that was left behind in class?

Usually, it is best to leave items of lower value like water bottles and umbrellas where you find them. Valuable items like phones should be taken to the Central Lost and Found

Still Need Assistance?
Contact Us
Contact Us