COVID-19 GTS Classroom Safety Planning
Last updated: January 14, 2021
The majority of UBC's courses will be taught through remote instruction, however some General Teaching Space (GTS) classrooms will be used for in-person teaching for 2020 Winter Session and 2021 Summer Session in accordance with the GTS Safety Plan.
- The majority of classrooms on campus are closed; classroom use is by appointment only.
- No after-hours use of classrooms (after 5pm) to facilitate cleaning
- Occupancy signage with layout for physical distancing in all classrooms
- Decals on tables and/or floor to mark designated seats (2m apart)
- Where applicable, directional tape on the floor; tape to mark instructional area
- Signage about cleaning frequency
- Enter/Exit designated doors if more than one door
- No food/drink allowed
- Non-medical masks must be worn in common indoor spaces on campus per UBC’s mask policy:
- When travelling through building corridors and shared spaces
- While entering or exiting classrooms
- Within classrooms while moving to one's seat, or at any other time that 2m physical distancing cannot be maintained
- Instructors should wear a mask when receiving in-person support from AV support staff.
- Masks are not required to be worn in classrooms while 2m apart from others. The designated seats in classrooms are 2m apart, therefore students and other classroom users have the option to remove their masks while seated in the designated seats. Students may choose to wear a mask even while seated 2m apart.
The GTS Safety Plan applies to all GTS rooms to directly support in-person academic teaching and any other approved bookings (e.g. instructor recording sessions). This safety plan applies only to GTS classrooms and not to departmentally scheduled classrooms or teaching labs which would be covered by their respective departmental safety plans. Please note that this document is subject to change and will be updated as the need arises.
With UBC primarily offering online courses, many instructors are also interested in using classrooms with recording capabilities to pre-record content for their classes, and a number of rooms are available for that purpose, by appointment only.
As part of the GTS Safety Plan, any instructor or person who uses a GTS classroom will receive a classroom safety information package that outlines their responsibilities in the event of an emergency. The safety information packages also contain building- and room-specific information such as entries/exits, nearby washrooms, etc. A copy of the safety information package will be available in the classrooms, and can also be found on their respective classroom page in the "More Info" section.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.